I'm Open-Sourcing Ulry
Ulry’s first ever commit is dated 23 Dec 2021. The motivation behind its creation stemmed from my inability to find a user-friendly link archiver that I liked and didn’t involve the hassle of an account registration. Additionally, at that time I was getting more and more interested in SQLite and its internals, I discovered that a lot of cool iOS apps available out there used it instead of the classic CoreData framework provided by Apple. That was the perfect excuse to create a new side project and learn something new that I was really interested into.
This turned out to be my most successful project to date. This month, Ulry has reached more than 2K downloads on the App Store and I am overwhelmed by the positive user feedbacks that praise the app for the very reason I felt the need to create it: fast, lightweight, simple.
I initially thought of keeping the project’s source-code private and see if I could earn something from it, but I found out that that would require too much additional work from my side. I felt obliged to be ready to fix every single bug that popped out of nowhere and have a 100% functional product at any time. After dedicating more than a year to its development, I felt the need to jump on new projects, learn something different and take a break from iOS development in general.
Lately I’ve been pretty involved with the open source community and I’ve met a lot of smart and thoughtful people that taught me a lot about software. Ulry itself wouldn’t have been possible if it wasn’t for a couple of very famous open-source projects.
While I am taking a break from iOS development, I want to share as much knowledge as I can and give it back to the OS community. This is why I’ve decided to open-source Ulry.
Hopefully people will learn from it and contribute to the project, that is my new goal for Ulry.
The GitHub repo still needs some fixes and a better README, some refactoring would be good too, but for now it should work!
I hope to see you on GitHub and work with you on this :)